James E. Sanders Sr. is seeking an eighth term on the New Britain Board of Education in the 2011 municipal election.
During his term of office on the Board of Education he has been responsible for instituting many major programs such as Jr. ROTC program at New Britain High School and a Dress Code requirement for both Middle School and grade schools.
He has held the office of President 3 times, Vice President 9 times and Secretary 2 times. He has been chairman of the Curriculum. Finance, Policy and Personnel committees. He has also been a member of these committees.
He also attended and graduated from the following New Britain Schools; St Mary’s, Nathan Hale , and New Britain High School.
During his time on the Board of Education he has earned many awards.
- Life time Achievement for being the longest elected BOE member
- Elected to National Football College Hall of Fame
- Exchange Club Man of the Year
- New Britain Football League Coach of the Year
- Head Coach of New Britain Midget Football team in the DELMARVA Bowl held in Maryland and Virginia
Organizations he has belonged to include
- Korean War Veteran – Sgt USMC – RECON
- Marine Corps League – Past Commandant
- Knights of Columbus 3rd and 4th Degree
- Ancient Order of Hibernians
- Friends of Football – Charter Member & Lifetime Member
- Board of Directors College Hall of Fames – Northern Chapter
- President of various PTO;s and PTA’s
He pledges his continuous stand for the rights and well being of the students, parents and taxpayers of the city of New Britain.